Monday, March 3, 2008

Birthday Boy
























On Saturday evening March 1 we held Elliot's first birthday bash at Mom and Dad Witmer's house. And what a bash it was. Nearly 30 people showed up to help Elliot celebrate. Sylvia spent the morning and afternoon decorating the house, baking cakes and preparing for supper and by 5 we were ready to go. Family and friends helped with the food and we enjoyed some of Elliot's favorites for supper such as sloppy joes, cheese curls, macaroni, oranges, and a relish tray. For dessert we had ice cream and of course, cake. Following a Rhodes tradition, Elliot had a special personal cake which Sylvia decorated to look like a basketball and which he was allowed to destroy in the process of eating chunks of it. This was quite amusing as Elliot began reaching for the cake cautiously eyeing Sylvia and I for approval the entire time. Realizing that there were no prohibitions regarding the eating method for this particular meal, he dove in with gusto, smearing hands, face and ears with icing and plunging fistfuls of carrot cake into his mouth. We all got quite a laugh at his expense, although he was laughing and enjoying himself immensely as well. After changing clothes, he moved on to the gifts and cards which he unwrapped with assistance from the cousins. Elliot had so much fun on this evening that he didn't go to bed until nearly two hours after his normal bedtime. Thanks to all who helped us celebrate with your attendance and with love and birthday wishes from afar.

5 comments:

The Rhodes 3 Household said...

Oh, and by the way, Dad Rhodes gets credit for many of these photos.

-M

Anonymous said...

Glad you are keeping the Rhodes traditions. Did you also keep the one where we all sing happy birthday really loudly and off key??? That might have scared him. I can't believe this guy is one already and am so excited that I'll finally be meeting him in a few months! Sylvia, loved the basketball cake!! I can just imagine him digging in. Claire did that too but Eliza was all delicate and afraid of getting messy. :) Happy Birthday Elliot!Candice

Anonymous said...

What a party!! I wish I could've had a fistful of that cake too--next year. =) Happy Birthday Elliot! Love, Aunt Nita

Anonymous said...

It did my heart so much good to see how normal-acting the third generation is! Elliot's antics brought back a flood of memories, a composite of seven funny birthday cake destroyers! I'm amazed too that you all ended up with relatively decent table manners after those debacles! Dad

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Elliot! The party looked really fun. Sorry we had to miss it. I can't wait to see you this summer!! Love you, Aunt Carmen