Monday, April 28, 2008

Goodbye Durham





















A city in which we had a wonderful 3 years. Sylvia and I both agree that it was here that we have been most content since being married. Many fulfilling events happened in such a short time: The birth of Elliot, My schooling and degree, Sylvia's most rewarding job in her career, a great job with Counter Culture Coffee, taking turns being home with Elliot, the cultivation of many good friendships, a wonderful church home at Mt. Level Missionary Baptist, and the birth of Vincent. The city itself is full of character and a raw, dirty, unpretentious charm. We enjoyed its diversity of peoples and its artistic sensibility. As we were finishing up the packing on Friday afternoon my emotions finally caught up with me and I had to take Elliot out for one final bike ride in the neighborhood to collect myself. I think much of the sadness that I felt was connected to the preparation for and birth of Elliot followed by my time at home with him and how that filled my life and studies at Duke with added meaning. Sylvia and I both leave with much sadness because of the way in which Durham has felt like home to us and also with excitement and a sense of anticipation for our new life and home back in Harrisonburg.

3 comments:

Tom Arthur said...

Glad to see I made the photo montage of Durham. We'll miss all of you. Blessing on your new home.
Peace,
Tom

Anonymous said...

We will miss Durham too, albeit transiently. Your stories and our visits gave us a view into the city that is not portrayed on most media. Thanks for the good memories and we look forward to seeing more of you in H'burg.
Aaron

A said...

In three years, how much can happen! It's amazing to think of the difference in you/your family in just that time. =) Looking forward to being back "at home" with you all too.