Sunday, December 28, 2008

Vincent's Baby Dedication

We as parents first publicly consecrated ourselves again to Christ.

Followed by an anointing for us as parents and Vincent.

Members of the Body were given the opportunity to bless Vincent.


Vincent's baby dedication was at our church, Early Church, on December 21st. The dedication service began by a reading of Deuteronomy 6:1-9 (our request) by my sister Rachel; then a few words by our pastor, Ron Copeland; then a prayer by Martin's dad, James; a hymn "Savior Like a Shepherd Lead Us" (our request); reaffirmation of our baptismal vows; anointing with oil; a congregational response; and then charges given to Vincent by Martin's brother, Philip, and Ron. The service ended with an invitation for members of the Body to come and bless Vincent.
A very meaningful baby dedication...I am always humbled and simultaneously blessed by the privilege to be part of a community of Believers who seek to follow Christ and be continually transformed into His image. And it's good to know that our boys will be able to grow up in a community where there are many persons who emulate what it means to be a faithful disciple of Christ.
We were blessed to have so many of our family with us for Vincent's dedication, but missed those who were not able to attend, especially my dad who still wasn't able to leave home due to his broken hip.

Philip's charge to Vincent:
Vincent James Witmer Rhodes,
I charge you to follow your mom and dad as they follow Christ. I know them well, so I tell you with confidence that you can trust them.
They know you are a gift from God and will teach you well on God's behalf as long as you are in their care.

Follow Jesus joyfully like they do; be willing to give up your life, your stuff, your everything for him.
Take the word of God seriously like they do; always seek what is true, noble, and good.
Love the church like they do; always seek authentic Christ-centered community.
Live courageously like they do; stand up for the least of these.
Live peaceably like they do; speak often with the Prince of Peace.

From Psalm 22 I charge you:
Be faithful (as they are faithful) so that FUTURE generations will be told about the Lord; proclaim his righteousness to a people yet unborn...

Ron's charge to Vincent went something like this (from my memory, and he further elaborated on each charge):
Accept criticism well.
Be the first to apologize, especially when you are in a role where you have authority over others.
Be like St. Mother Teresa of Calcutta and serve the poor and those who are cast out of mainstream society.
Never think you fully know what the Bible says - always read the Bible with joy and in anticipation of learning something new.
Honor your parents.

-Sylvia

5 comments:

The Amstutz Family said...

It sounds like a very beautiful and meaningful service! I wish we could have been there. Blessings to you guys as you raise your precious child in God's truth. We look forward to seeing you again sometime - hopefully sooner than later! =)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a detailed report, helps us feel like we were standing there with you, almost! (Which we were in spirit!) We join with you in a desire that Vincent will be blessed by God. It's so exciting to watch a new life unfold, especially when it's in a loving and faith-filled home. Walk in His promises!
Luci

Anonymous said...

I blog frеquently and I truly thank you foг уоur content.
Thіs aгticle has truly ρeakеd my inteгest.
I ωill taκe a notе of your blog anԁ keep checking for new ԁetаils about onсe ρeг wеeκ.
I subѕcribеd to уouг
Feeԁ as ωеll.

Mу blog: used bucket trucks
My web site bucket truck industry

Anonymous said...

Great post.

Herе іs my page - used bucket truck

Anonymous said...

Good ԁaу! Dο you know іf theу
make any pluginѕ to ρrotect againѕt
hackers? I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I'vе workеd haгd on.
Any recommendations?

Chеck out my web sitе - seo company dallas