Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Life Is Full

Life is full, as in busy full, and fulfilling full. I like the fulfilling full, but I don't always like the busy full feeling. I need time to just relax and think and process the events of the day, life in general, and the direction life is taking me and us as a family. I like to do this alone, and I like to do this with Martin, and sometimes the busy-ness dictates my schedule so much that these kinds of moments are too few. However, I have had time to relax and think and process and do so with Martin, thanks to an anniversary and several nights away without the children! (Thanks Mom and Dad Rhodes for taking care of the kids!)

This past year has been very full with moments that have been fulfilling, challenging, difficult, busy, frustrating, and enjoyable. Living life in community is intense and it produces a lot of growth. We've hosted quite a few church events, had people living here who were in need of temporary housing or a place to stay for the night, gotten to know our neighbors over meals, done A LOT of work around our house and yard and gardens, had wonderful times of prayer and sharing, and we've had some difficult meetings where we've hashed out the challenges involved with living together as a household. I'm grateful to be a part of a community that holds each other accountable, speaks truthfully, forgives, extends grace and serves one another in love.

However, I wonder if sometimes a break is necessary in the midst of such intensity. I want to take some time off. I need time for refreshing - just having fun being together with people instead of being responsible for meal preparation, cleaning, serving, giving counsel, listening, praying. I have learned so much in this past year from all the different experiences and from all the people I've interacted with, but I feel like it's been so overwhelming too. Over-kill, maybe. I want to serve others in love, but I cannot do that if I am depleted.

So, maybe I need to learn how to balance serving the poor and needy among us, practicing hospitality, meeting together as the Body of Christ, tending my children, nurturing my relationship with Martin, and making sure that my soul is nourished. How does one go about that? Are there stages in life that are more intense than others? Are there times in life where it is wise or unwise to place ourselves in such intense circumstances? I want to be faithful in using my gifts and talents in community while taking care of the people, ESPECIALLY my children, that God has entrusted to me.

So, here's a plea for prayer for wisdom, and any wise advice you may want to pass along.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love and prayers and my thoughts are coming via e-mail! *HUG* Candice