Thursday, June 28, 2012

San Francisco California

Nob Hill Hotel where we stayed for 4 nights.




Golden Gate Park on Sunday.  The weather was unusually warm and sunny the week we were in SF, and Sunday this park was filled with people and activity.  It was fun to stroll through the park and observe the festive atmosphere...bicycling, drumming, kick-ball, roller skating, dancing, etc.  




Chinatown!  I managed to snap a few photos before the owner of the store informed me "no pictures, no pictures"...





I loved these lamp posts that lined the streets.  

And Chinese lanterns!

...because it's cool and because I knew our kids would love this!

San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.  The featured exhibit was photography of Mexico.  The photographs were very powerful and moving, particularly the ones of the border crossings into the US.  I didn't take any pictures, though...maybe because it seemed strange to take photos of photos...?

Spider family...the kids loved this picture too!

Graffiti artist Barry McGee.  I loved all the thrift store framing of his art.

close up of one of the above pictures.

Haight Ashbury District with it's eclectic stores...

and cool trash cans

Oh My Goodness...this was the best Middle Eastern food at Blue Front Cafe..kinda makes Dave's (and I love Dave's) seem like McDonalds!

Medusa


Women's House in the Missions District.  I could have stared at these murals for hours...they are amazing in their depiction of the life and strength of the feminine sex.   Elliot saw this picture and when I asked what he thought of it, he simply replied "It's a picture of God".  !!





Tartine.  An incredible cafe/bakery in the Missions District.  A friend of mine recommended I go here.  This is a coconut cake with passion fruit filling.  It was the best!  My mouth is salivating as I write...


Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39.  Any guesses as to why I took this picture?


I took a 1 hour cruise on this boat and learned a bit about the history of SF and Alcatraz...very touristy...


This was at The Aquarium on the Bay at Pier 39.  I could walk through a tunnel and see all kinds of sea life swimming around me.  

Jelly fish are incredibly therapeutic.  


This aquarium had a "touch pool" where you could touch various sea creatures. This is me touching a sea cucumber.

Yippers!  Amazing game, the atmosphere was electric!  Couldn't believe we actually witnessed this moment!  It was incredible!




Cable cars are cool.

We absolutely loved San Francisco!  And a HUGE thank-you to James and Leanna for taking care of our children, and to Mom and Dad Witmer and my sister Rachel for helping out with the kids too.  What an incredible gift!  We are blessed.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Looks like an awesome trip!!! So fun! With all kinds of cool things to see - except the spider family. (Shudder shiver blech!) :)

Anonymous said...

We liked the Golden Gate pictures and the aquarium pictures. Good pictures!

You are one "Lucky Lady!" :)

Yoders

Anonymous said...

@Luci! You got it!!
-Sylvia