Friday, November 22, 2013

Showalter's Orchard Field TripjAbout

About a month ago, I went along with Vincent's kindergarten class to Showalter's Orchard in Timberville for a field trip.  Here Vincent is with his teacher, Mr. Dayton, filling a basket full of apples, like the workers do.  



Remainder of apples after pressing for cider.  These are fed to pigs.  

Pressing apples for juice/cider.

Pig slop...!



Scavenging for pumpkins.  



'Twas a fun experience, albeit freezing cold.  Yes, we even saw snow flurries, which unfortunately meant that it was too cold for a picnic lunch outside at the orchard, as had been planned.  So I kissed Vincent goodbye, and he returned to school to eat lunch with his class, and I went home to bid Martin good-bye for his 12 day trip to Albania and Kosovo.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We remember visiting the Showalter Orchard the year we lived in Virginia. They had a family/community day one Saturday.

The apples look so crisp, fresh and yummy! I can just taste the apple cider. Did you get a taste on your field trip, Vincent?

Aunt Luci