Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Back to Work




Sylvia started back to work this work this week after 3 months of maternity leave. She will be working 10-15 hours per week in the position that she had before going on leave. Her boss was very flexible in letting her work whichever hours suited her the best. She was glad to see her co-workers again, and is looking forward to meeting with clients again, although it is not altogether easy to leave Elliot with the babysitter either. At the moment we are planning to have Elliot at a friends house for afternoon nap time 3 times a week. The other 2 days of the the week, Sylvia will see clients after I get home from work.
Sylvia also found out that her IDDT (Integrated Dual Disorder Treatment) team received the best adult mental health provider of the year (2006) award for the city and county of Durham.

I also started work this week at Counter Culture Coffee in Durham. Counter Culture is a coffee wholesaler primarily which buys green coffee from around the world and roasts, blends, packages and ships it from our Durham facility. We also process Internet orders, but this is a small part of the business. I am working in the production area of the company. My duties include blending coffees, bagging, packaging and shipping. The lead shipper is leaving production soon, so he has been teaching me his job over the last couple of days, so I can fill in when he leaves. Today I worked almost exclusively in the shipping area of the warehouse, and even learnt to drive a forklift (takes about 2 minutes).
I have enjoyed the work so far - there is a lot of variety, and the manual labor feels good to my petrified muscles. I work with a group of about 10 people, and have been getting to know them over the last few days. The company itself is fairly tight knit, and everyone seems to know and work with each other well. Also, everyone who works at CCC as a whole got their start in production, so everyone has good working knowledge of the activities of the company.
One of the nice benefits of working for a coffee company is that we get to take home one pound of coffee per week, and there is quite a variety to choose from!
I feel very blessed to have gotten this job with a company that seems to be working toward economic and environmental sustainability in many areas of the world. I'll work on a theological rationale for a later post. In the meantime you can check our website at

www.counterculturecoffee.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new job Martin, glad you're enjoying it. Free coffee is a great side benefit too! Sounds like you guys have worked out a really great schedule. Sylvia, I know you'll miss Elliot- good luck as you adjust back to work. Love you guys! Candice

Anonymous said...

Sylvia, congratulations for the award your dept got-you must be doing a great job. I'll think of you, esp Sylvia as you go back to work- that was one of the hardest things for me as a new Mom. Martin, hope you enjoy your new job and the coffee that goes with it. Love, Mom Rhodes

Rebekah Luree said...

Is there a discount on coffee for family members? Congrats on the new job, Martin. Does that require a master's by any chance? Sylvia, did you get a trophy? I'm very impressed, anyhow :). What is Elliot working on/at these days?