At the Relief Sale...we enjoyed supper Friday evening, which was a first for both Martin and I, and then after a relaxing morning on Saturday which included a game of Settlers with Rebekah (see the Rhodes Base Unit blog for the winning details), we went back to the Relief Sale around lunchtime. As always, we enjoyed browsing and looking at the handmade crafts, furniture and quilts and taking in bits and pieces of the auction, eating fresh doughnuts, and catching up with friends we hadn't seen in a long time (which included Martin nodding and saying "hello" to a random man he mistook as someone he knew - we all got a laugh out of it). Then, as is tradition, we met up with the Amstutz's for lunch at the Relief Sale and enjoyed a delicious communal fresh strawberry pie for desert.
Later that afternoon, Martin and I took in a movie (In The Valley of Elah - we highly recommend this movie to anyone, by the way) and dinner (at Bravo - delicious mussels in wine and garlic sauce for an appetizer, fresh bread and salads, and the main course of Penne a la Vodka for me, and Shrimp and Pasta for Martin) to celebrate my 29th birthday, while Elliot was in the care of his Rhodes Grandparents. As much as we love our little boy, it's always a wonderful treat to go out as a twosome from time to time.
Checking out the front seat passengers on our ride home from VA last weekend.
We've been enjoying the beautiful fallish days and the greatly welcomed relief from the humid 90 degree weather that has been the norm up until last week. Today we took a picnic lunch (along with some fabulous carne azada tacos, freshly made at our local taqueria down the street) to the Sarah Duke Gardens. After lunch Martin and I threw Frisbee for a little while, much to the amusement of Elliot.
When Elliot is not out and about in the great outdoors, one of his favorite pastimes is pulling all of our Cd's out of the entertainment center. If he wreaks this much havoc in stationary mode, we are in serious trouble when greater mobility is achieved!
By the way, as of today, Elliot has begun clapping his hands together. He's also, in the past couple of days, gotten up on his hands and knees one or two times, so we're predicting that he'll be crawling in a month. !
9 comments:
I love the picture of Elliot playing with martin's hat and going for his nose. he is such a cutie. I predict that when he is mobile, he will be able to wreak a lot of havoc :) Love you, Carmen
Strawberry pie . . . uh oh! I guess it's too late now, though. =) Was your movie about David and Goliath?! (I have yet to get out to the Elah Valley) Love ya! Anita
It was fun to be with you all again at the Relief Sale. Seeing the picture of Elliot pulling everything out of the entertainment center makes me wonder what we are in for in a few months and what I need to put out of reach! He really is a cutie. Can't wait until he and Joel can really play together!
Danae
Ohhh...I'm a little jealous you got to go to the Relief Sale. Every year I am all certain that I am going to go, and then something has always come up, all but one year, and that year I went but was having weird horrible stomach pains the entire time. APPARENTLY, enjoying this fall activity is not meant to be for me at this time. Looks like some fun times. Happy birthday, Sylvia!
hey sylvia i was thinking of you on your birthday but unfortanetly didnt get a chance to post. (i wish someone would tell me how to spell that word i always spell it wrong..unfortan???)
anyway i digress..i was hoping to get to see you at the relief sale but we went more in the morning so i guess you werent there yet..oh well maybe next year =)
To answer your question Anita, it did mention the story of David and Goliath a couple of times, but left out David's true armor - "I come to you in the name of the Lord my God", or something like that. But it was probably for the better, given the context. A great movie about the realities of war and PTSD.
-Sylvia
hey, awesome pictures - martin's such a cutie...oh and elliot as well. i was wondering about that apple - i didn't know his jaws were that strong yet. once he knows how to take the cd's out and put them in the player and run the volume button - then you'll have some problems. love you!
'Livin the good life.' Looks like lots of joy. Did he pucker up after the apple bite? Will he tolerate the cap for long? I like the one where he is crowing. Dad/Granddaddy
Martin, that one shot of Elliot with the sun glowing on the top of his head reminds me of the "halo" shot of you in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, 1978! Dad
Post a Comment