Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Things I've Learned as a Mom

Things I've learned since becoming a mom:
1. The tune to the "Alphabet Song" and the tune to "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" are the same.
2. That it's easy for me to share things that I like with Elliot, like ice-cream, chocolate candies, and doughnuts, just because I love him so much. (I am known to eat more than my share of all the above.)
3. That my boys' nap times are essential for all of our happy demeanor's, health, and well-being. I need some quiet time throughout the day.
4. A nap for me during the day is now considered one of my luxury items.
5. That newborns are not easy to take care of. For me, the newborn stage is actually the hardest and most demanding stage of childhood so far.
6. That not all babies take nice long naps during the day.
7. That Tylenol, Motrin, pacifiers, and thumbs are sanity savers.
8. I'm more responsive to the sensations and emotions of life. For example, I cry to the U2 lyrics: "No one cries like a mother cries for peace on earth".
9. I now love Martin more and in deeper ways since he is the father of my boys.
10. That I need the gift and the art of patience to be a good mother. It's more easy for me to become angry or lose my temper than I thought. Two boys crying at once, or when one boy cries and the other is demanding my attention, I can easily react with my emotions.
11. I can simply sit and stare at my boys in wonder and amazement and feel incredibly peaceful.
12. I'm surprised that I'm still basically the same person - I don't necessarily feel older, wiser, or more settled...just hopefully a better, richer person now.
13. That I AM INCREDIBLY BLESSED!! I now can better understand that children are a GIFT from God.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand. One thing I've learned is that I'm not a very gentle person. That's really something I've been thinking about a lot lately.

Anonymous said...

Sylvia- so beautiful and SO TRUE. I agree with you about the newborn stage! Candice

Anonymous said...

Syl, Think about the tune of Baa, Baa Black Sheep! Lovely writing, honest and inspiring at the same time! Sounds like mothering is doing something to the inside of you, too. Such an immersion is bound to bring about some kind of change, eh? Tonight I was wondering if I'm up to the task. I must depend more on my Heavenly Father! Miss you! Lucyoder

Anonymous said...

Sylvia, it was so good to spend time with you this summer. You are a wonderful mom. I really liked the honesty of your post. Elliot and Vincent are better for having you as their mom. Love you, Carmen

Anonymous said...

I appreciated this glimpse into your inner world as a mom. . . .and wife! James

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...so true, so true. I'm so glad to have your wisdom and friendship as we get ready to embrace life with number 2. "AMEN" to your feelings on the infancy stage. Watching video of Joel has helped me though to be okay with doing this all over again. (And I have lots of chocolate!) Ha Ha Ha
Danae

Anonymous said...

i can't believe how inspiring your thoughts are on motherhood. how do you have time for that?? peace-rita