I'm wondering if Elliot is getting ready to be potty trained. He's been telling us "poop" when he has a poopy diaper, and he's fascinated when anyone goes to the bathroom to "pee". Does this sound like he's ready? If so, I'm seeking any tried and true potty training advice, or any advice that seems like it would work. Or is he still too young (19 months) to start something like this?
-Sylvia
6 comments:
I think it sounds like he's at the early stages of being ready. I wouldn't push it, but would just have a place for him to go and get used to the idea. Physiologically, he might be more ready when he stays dry at night. I think if he's showing interest, it wouldn't hurt to introduce it, but not to push for full training at this point. We got frustrated with how long the process took with D and thought we probably started a little early. With L, we've let her take the lead and let us know when she's ready (also helps that she has a model in her older sister). For what it's worth :) Carmen
No experience here! But Carmen's advice seems good. =) She's got her own potty-training stories!
I remember Gabe being pretty interested for a long time in the whole "pee-ing" process. I don't remember when he started talking about poopy diapers, but it was a good while before training too. He was 3 1/2 before he was fully trained - BUT - part of that was because I didn't have the time/energy/motivation to start it earlier between work, traveling, moving, etc. I know the Potty Training in One Day book states that they can be ready anywhere from 18-36 months. You could do something low pressure like have a potty chair available for him if he wanted it - but keep your expectations nada, because it is really frustrating to expect magic and get prolonged months. :) I would suggest reading Potty Training in One Day if you're interested, though, because I know some people have used it successfully. It gives readiness signs, too.
I highly recommend Over the Rhine's Poopsmith song. I have no experience potty training, but I imagine that if I get there some day, the Poopsmith song will be regualarly sung around our home. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/The-Poopsmith-Song/dp/B000XKOVDE.
Enjoy!
Tom
I agree with Carmen- depends on if you want a long process or a shorter one. :) Claire was really interested at 18 months so we started her then but with very little pressure- just bought her a potty and put her on sometimes. She occasionally peed in it but wasn't trained til she was right at 2 yrs. old (my goal was to have her trained when Eliza was born, and she was). Eliza started later and trained faster- mainly because of Claire's example I think ( I agree with Carmen that the second is easier)....and she was done right around 2 yrs also. I would buy him a little potty and see what his interest is, but don't expect too much yet. :) C
Hmmm. I'll have to do more of these posts. I like advice! I think we'll get a potty and just have him sit on it from time to time to get him used to the idea, and then go from there depending on how ready he seems. Thanks for all your advice.
-Sylvia
Post a Comment