Life here at 5th Street is full, and I like it that way. Here's a glimpse into what's been happening recently...
Last week:
Monday I babysat 2 little children of a woman who has been in an abusive relationship and is trying to get on her feet again as a single mom. I try to help with childcare when she has appointments she needs to be at. A 2 year old and a 7 month old, sweet children, but they've been through some tough times already in their young lives. She's a beautiful lady who loves her children and challenges me with her honesty and ability to forgive. In the evening Annaliese and I went to Birth Circle and heard birth stories of 3 different women while Martin stayed home with the boys, Nick went dumpter diving, and Via went to Shekinah practice. We met back together in our chapel around 9:15 for house prayers and intercession for each other and our community.
Tuesday I babysat again, and in the afternoon my sister Rachel and her children came over to chat and play. Over supper our family went to Anita and David's for a delicious meal of chili, salad, and shoe-fly pie. Then me and Anita went to Peace House for sewing night, where some ladies from our church got together to piece together some squares for a crazy quilt for our pastors mom, who is terminally ill with leukemia.
Wednesday I stayed at home and played with my children! Fun. In the evening the 4 of us got together for a house meeting, to review 6 months of community living - what we like and what we want to change. We all agreed we want to be together more - play games, pray together more, etc. We all still like each other and still want to be in community together - that's nice!!
Thursday was another nice day here at home, and the boys went to Brian & Rachel Ferells in the morning. Via and I both fixed a dish for our bi-weekly community meal with our lovely neighbors, Tom Benevento and Margot Zonor, and their 2 children Zach and Silas. A wonderful meal together at 6 p.m., good discussion about Mother Teresa and energy uses, then Martin and I dropped the boys off with the Rhodes Grandparents and took Annaliese with us to visit Roger and Marian Copeland in the hospital. We both remarked how wonderful and inspiring it is to visit with someone who is at peace with dying and yet who is open to a miracle of healing. What a wonderful couple! Still act like newlyweds after 40 or 50 years of marriage.
Friday morning I took the kids to the Childrens Museum, then in the evening ordered food at Earth & Tea Cafe for supper, then took the boys with me to Phoebe Copelands birthday party while Martin and Annaliese hung out here at home. Nick was sick so Via stayed home with him here.
Saturday morning we hosted the Missionary Support Team for Philip & Betsy here at our home - a potluck breakfast - then we "met" with them over skype to hear how they are doing and what life is like for them and prayed together. In the afternoon Martin put the boys bunk bed together and we began emptying our green room out so we can make it available for people to stay here who need a place to live short-term. In the evening we hosted another potluck supper with people from church who gathered here for communion and worship.
Sunday morning was church - meaningful worship and witnessed/participated in Philo Wettig's baby dedication. After some rest, Annaliese and I walked to Amber's house to visit with her and her 2 small children for a bit. The evening was restful.
Life is good, full, meaningful, challenging. Not every week is quite so busy, but I enjoy community life and sharing our home and lives with other people. Through it all I am learning to be more Christ-like.
4 comments:
Thanks so much for sharing, Sylvia. It so good to hear parts of our journey and what is going on in those parts!
Love
Betsy
I love all the natural ways you are finding to minister and share your home and life with others. Beautiful! And good to hear what your life is like day to day...lots of love, Candice
Wow, these glimpses of your life in Harrisonburg are so refreshing! I like that you all and Nick and Via are still getting along so well. And we were very blessed to be part of that week too! I was just thinking about that again today--beautiful how you have supported us so well in our assignment here! Thanks! Love and peace to you!
-Philip
Syl, We are blessed! The beauty of being a stay-at-home mom and filling our days with such variety! We don't have to have a LAUNDRY day or a BAKING day, etc. Modern conveniences let us homemakers move out into our communities more, even with small children, eh?! Bloom where you're planted...sounds like you're experiencing lush growth! It seems there have been definite advantages to moving closer to your church community, something you were contemplating just one year ago!
Luci
Post a Comment