Friday, August 24, 2012

Things I've Learned Since Becoming A Mom #5

1.  It's important to get to know my child - her/his interests, natural abilities, personality, learning style, etc. and encourage him/her to grow in her/his own uniqueness and giftings.  A "one style fits all" approach to parenting isn't the best.  Each child is unique, and that's beautiful.

2.  Being a mom requires 4 extremely important things:  Patience, Energy, Creativity, Consistency.
And, of course, love under girds and is woven through each of these.

3.  Infant, Toddler, and Preschool age children require exorbitant amounts of energy and care.  These are fundamental years for laying the framework for who this little person will be - sense of security, trust, healthy self-image, loving, wise, respectful, self-controlled, etc.  These qualities are modeled and taught in the simple everyday happenings and routines of life.  And it's work!

4.  I like to play and have fun with my children.  It's so rewarding to enter into their world of imaginative play and creativity.  And it's a great way to get to know who they are.

5.  Everyone says the young infant to preschool age passes quickly and to "enjoy every moment".  Yeah, I agree it passes quickly and it's easy to think back on all the sentimental parts, but it can also be VERY DIFFICULT and time-consuming while in the midst of it.  And no, I haven't "enjoyed every moment".  Who has?  The fighting, temper tantrums, sibling rivalry, pestiness, whining, constant neediness, all 3 of them whining and/or crying and needing something from me IMMEDIATELY and at the same time.  But these years are special, no doubt about it!  The closeness, the privilege of   being the center of their lives, being so loved and wanted and needed and trusted, and in return knowing them so well...their candidness, innocence, their wonder at all things small and great!

6.  I need to have a sense of humor with my children, my spouse, and myself.  It's necessary for everyone's well-being.  And to forgive myself, my spouse, and my children regularly. Nobody's perfect.  Grace needs to always be evident.

7.  Control - something I'm still learning about and figuring out.  But I think what I'm learning is that training - loving, teaching, caring for, and nurturing my child - is a process.  I can't suddenly force or demand that they be a certain way.  I think seeing parenting as a process allows both the parent and the child freedom to grow and flourish together instead of expecting sudden perfection or arrival at a certain goal.  Anyway, to me this makes sense and frees me to more fully enjoy being a mom and appreciate my children for who they are as unique little persons.
These are the great kids I get to be a mom to!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good insights from someone in the thick of it!!! Brent fully agrees with the necessity of a sense of humour. #7 . . . control, hard for me to know the balance. If we aspire to be an authoritative, not authoritarian style parent, it's along those same lines. (Not permissive either.)
Luci