
Here we are processing into Duke Chapel after running the gauntlet of our cheering professors who had lined the halls of the Divinity School. As a special treat we even got to process past Mom and Elliot who were sitting in an alcove between the Div. school and the Chapel.
It's not really that dark and gloomy in Duke Chapel- they just don't allow flash photography. The ambiance is really nice and medieval in this shot - kudos to Dad!

The Bridgewater College intellectuals snubbing Duke
Yes, that's asparagus. It turns out that fresh asparagus coated with olive oil, salt and pepper makes for a wonderful side to grilled chicken and hot dogs. Thanks to the Rhodes's and Witmer's for a wonderful Mother's Day meal!

Gypsy town - That's what our Durham location morphed into over graduation weekend. One extra large travel trailer, one bedded van, two tents, and many vehicles peppered the lawn and drive of 1923 Washington Street. These particular nomads had come to party - and party we did! Saturday around noon the convergence began as folks began to show up to celebrate the Duke Divinity School hooding ceremony that evening. Even in the intermittent rain folks pitched tents and placed jack to secure their spots for the night. The hooding ceremony itself got off to a particularly vigorous start as the first candidate of the night got a nearly lethal dose of the Holy Spirit, and jived and praised her way off the stage with many a Hallelujah and Thank you Jesus! Compared to that, the rest of the evening was pretty low key - I mean how do you follow that act? (I don't mean to imply that it was contrived in any way. This particular woman goes to our church, and I can vouch for the authenticity of her expression). As I was hooded Master of Theological Studies, the large Rhodes contingent in the back of the Chapel stood and shook their hands in the air (cheering prohibited). After the ceremony we all met back at the apartment for a party that included at least 4 pies, 3 pots of coffee, assorted nuts and cheeses, fruit, sticky rice and mango, and jelly bellies. Gifts and cards were also conferred upon the honored graduate. Since graduation I have made a purchase with the money given me for a set of desktop stereo speakers (for those of you who care - Z4 Logitech system with subwoofer - excellent sound for my digital music - Thank you Witmer's, Beachy's and Beery's). The other monies are going towards a Zassenhaus coffee grinder - Thank you Rhodes's and Mast's. Anita also gave me a Duhks cd. Sylvia gifted me with a copy of Martyrs Mirror, and a frame for my print of Dirk Wilhems.
Sunday after a large and scrumptious breakfast of egg casseroles and quiches, French Toast, sticky buns and another 4 pots of coffee, we all went to Mt. Level Missionary Baptist and were graced with a wonderful Mother's Day sermon by our pastor Dr. William C. Turner Jr. - see Dietch's blog for specifics. Afterward, on a clear and sunny afternoon we ate picnic style outside. Dad and I grilled the meat, and Anita organized the rest of the menu which included baked beans, chips, avocados, salad, iced tea and soda.
After lunch the gypsies disappeared as quickly as they had come and our previously full little apartment (22 people in the living room at once), housed only 3.
Thanks to all for coming to celebrate with us - we had a wonderful time. Thanks too for all the prayers and encouragement over the past several years, and especially this year as I worked on my thesis and learnt the fine art of fatherhood. I am very blessed!
Master Martin
5 comments:
sorry the comment option got turned off somehow, but we're back up and running. We really do want your feedback! Thanks Candice for the heads up!
Testing. Testing. My last comment never showed. hmmmm....It looked like such a great time! Wish we could have been there to celebrate- could you fit 26 into your living room? It's so cool that you discovered mango sticky rice too! Did you have a little sweet coconut milk for the top? That's my favorite part?
Thanks for the update- loved the family picture! Candice
The weekend festivities sounded like fun! We were a part of the ceremony, watching the entire event on our computer starting at 10:30, our time. By the way, here in MA, we were allowed to cheer :) Congratulations! Wish we could've been there. Love, Carmen
I'm glad you all could participate too in my graduation. Thanks for the cheers! We did have the coconut milk as a topping for the sticky rice - delicious.
Congratulations Martin!!
I'm so proud of my big brother! Wish so much I could've been there-I was impressed with how interesting the speech was- I don't hear that kind of preaching often. It's a bit sad that I have to get that kind of spiritual imput from a graduation ceremony half way across the world ;). Who woulda thought? I can't wait to see you all again and give you a late congratulatory hug and gift :).
Post a Comment