Thursday, October 25, 2007

Mr. Dad

Last Friday I quit my job at Counter Culture Coffee to stay home with Elliot. Sylvia has returned to work as a modified part time employee, which amounts to 30-35 hrs. with benefits. Her schedule of 8-3 allows us to be together more as a family, and also boosts our income a bit. Working with the greatest coffee roasters on the planet (sorry Paul Kurtz) has been a great experience for me, and I'm not entirely sure that I'm through with the coffee business altogether. But, being able to stay home with Elliot at this stage of his life is an opportunity too good to pass up for any job! I'm sure that there will be times when I'll miss work, and when Sylvia will miss being with Elliot all day, but we'll switch again at some point(at least in April for sure).
Elliot enjoys such games as throwing a ball back and forth (he's got quite an arm), and games that strangely resemble a dog and its owner playing fetch (me playing the dog part), that also involve dancing and shouting (you'll have to ask Sylvia). We also go to the park when its nice, and Elliot loves to swing together, and laughs when I kick my feet vigorously at the apex of the swing. He also utters syllables that sound enticingly like Dada, but when you're home all day with only infant interactions, strange things start happening to your brain. For one, I can abandon acting like an inhibited adult for long periods during the day, and engage my son in roughhouse play and screeching matches. To make up for my lack of decorum, Sylvia and I engage in adult conversation after Elliot has gone to bed in the evenings. I'm looking forward to our days together, and will keep you all posted on further developments.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great plan and I'm sure Elliot loves all the dad time.
We'd love to take him to the zoo someday! Candice

Rhodes Base Unit said...

I think it's great. Hope you enjoy your new role-you won't regret it.Sylvia hope you enjoy your new schedule too. Nice to have more family time. Mom

Philip & Dietrich said...

wow, brother, I'm surprised! I guess I wasn't telling the truth today when I was explaining to Jonathan Bowman what you are currently doing. :). Hey, lucky Elliot! Philip

by the way, Jonathan was confused at first because he thought I WAS you.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to posts from Mr. Dad involving videos of "screeching matches" and playing "fetch"! Sounds like a winning situation for everyone but Sylvia! =) (unless you REALLY love your job) Anita

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you both, you Martin for making this commitment to stay home with Elliot and you, Sylvia for working and blessing your family with the extra income and benifits. I can't wait to hear more stories :) Love you, Carmen

Dietrich and Abigail said...

bah! who needs "intelligent" conversation when you can just get your point across by screeching? hope you enjoy your new work schedule, Sylvia!

Anonymous said...

Blessings to all three of you in this new venture. Dad

Anonymous said...

When I see the shot of your two men on our background, my first impression is that they are peering into your car window when you arrive home. It has that "hello, welcome home" feel to it. James