Friday, December 4, 2009

"I want to see God".

Philip babysits the boys once a week, and he shared the following story from his time with them yesterday:

A fun story to share with you from yesterday. Elliot inspired me. We were sitting there at lunch and he looks over at this little figurine that Betsy bought of Joseph and Mary holding Jesus. It's a 10,000 Villages item from Peru. He asks, "Is that God?" I say, "Yeah, which one do you think is God?" He points to Joseph. I say, "No, actually, the little sleeping baby is God. That's Jesus. The man and woman are his parents, Joseph and Mary." He goes back to eating a little bit and then says, "I want to see God." (It's too far away for him to reach). I say, "After you get done eating you can see God. Your hands are dirty." And then he does what Elliot does best: repeats his wish over and over again: "I want to see God" Pause. Eat. "I want to see God." Pause, eat. "I want to see God." etc. etc until he's finally done eating. "Ok, go wash your hands." (Runs and washes hands, comes back). "I want to see God." I scoot it over right in front of him and he just stares at it in wonder (and silence!) for a long time.

"I want to see God" kept repeating in my head throughout the afternoon and will continue to do so for quite a while. Thanks for your persistence, Elliot. :)

No comments: