Yuk. Last night Elliot came down with a sudden bout of intense vomiting after he went to bed. We were very surprised because he hadn't shown any symptoms during the day of feeling ill. He even ate a big supper and big bedtime snack. Then two hours later he was throwing EVERYTHING up, and continued to do so intermittently for the next 4 hours, including diarrhea. So I'm desperately praying that this isn't some sort of gastrointestinal virus that's going to make it's rounds in our family...
Elliot really was a little trooper through the whole thing and was really sweet, wanting to "snuggle" with me after each episode.
Today I washed about 6 loads of blankets and pajamas...yuk. At least it's a nice warmish sunny day to air dry the laundry!!
But here's my question. Have any of you heard of sulfites causing vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps? For a bedtime snack Elliot ate quite a few (probably 5?) dried apricots that had sulphur dioxide in them (that's the only thing we can think of, as we ate everything else he ate). I found something on-line that mentioned people, particularly children, with sensitivity to sulfites may have vomiting and diarrhea. Crazy. I'm definitely throwing the rest of the apricots out! And I don't think I'll be buying any more of those ever again.
Please don't be a stomach virus!!! I don't want to go through this again with Vincent tonight, then maybe me, then Martin....NO, PLEASE, NO!
4 comments:
Rough deal.
I have an amazing tolerance for sulfite-infested apricots. Please save them for me. Dad
Will do. :) I think just the sight of them will fill me with disgusted anger at what they represent!
Interesting to know, I have some dried apricots in my cupboard that I bought for special at Christmas time. We'll go easy. We discovered that Abigail was allergic to cashew nuts when we were staying for one night at Phil and Jenn's in Bonners Ferry!!! So JENN had the bedding laundry to do the day we left. It was very humbling. Jenn's the one that helped us track down that it was an allergic reaction. A. was itchy and had watery eyes, threw up almost immediately after Daddy had given her a little snack of his mixed nuts from Costco. We just thought she caught a flu bug, and we were spreading the virus to their whole family. Thankfully, that wasn't the case. I do hope there's a peaceful night ahead for you. I know how it is, you hear that tell-tale cough, and your feet hit the floor instinctively and you make a mad dash to them to hold the yogurt container at their mouth. . . and hopefully you made it in time!!! I feel sorry for little Elliot!! What else has sulfite?
L.
I'm glad it was just sulfite sensitivity and not a virus (like the ones all three of our kids had last week). Here's a link from the FDA with foods containing sulfites: http://extoxnet.orst.edu/faqs/additive/sulf_tbl.htm
Hopefully, it's only a minor allergy. Carmen
Post a Comment