Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Kindergarten Begins



pensive, a little nervous & anxious. 

After school he excitedly reports:  "I like school, I LOVE school, I can't wait until school tomorrow!"

Sweet handsome boy!  Oh how we love him!

Donned with all his name tags and backpack.

All ready for the wagon ride home.

Elliot began Kindergarten today.  After declaring for months ahead - right down until the car ride to school, that he did not want to go to school and was certain that he would NOT like it, he walked to us this afternoon at the end of the school day smiling sweetly and reporting how much he loved school and that his new best friend was "Eli", and that Eli had blond hair and a shirt with Curious George on it.  Other things he liked about his first day:  going to the library and reading a book with Eli, playing on the playground, playing a game on the computer, learning the Spanish words "hola" and "la jirafa", and learning how to write the letter "A".  
We are so proud of Elliot and are happy that he loves school and that he has a fantastic teacher, Mrs. Yoder.  

However, this transition to Kindergarten is not without a mixture of emotions:  happy, sad, proud.  After dropping him off at school I was surprised at feeling completely overwhelmed by these emotions.  But we expected him to really like school - the learning, the structure, the challenge.  I am grateful that he does and hope this will continue throughout the year.

We celebrated this first day of school with a special breakfast per his request of Apple Walnut Hotcakes, sausage, and fruit punch.  We surprised him with a bunch of helium balloons, with a big lion for courage and boldness!  This evening we continue the celebration by going out to eat at a restaurant of his choice, which at this point he's saying is either El Charro or Red Lobster.

Happy and Proud of our son!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Elliot! You are so grown up!! I'm really happy he had such a good first day and LOVE that he wore his Thailand shirt- woot! :) What a big step for your family! I'd love to hear more about his school. What kind of school is it/where? Candice

Sylvia Rhodes said...

Candice. Thanks for the comment. Elliot likes that monkey shirt!
He's going to public school - Waterman Elementary School. It's right in our neighborhood, so we can walk and ride bike to school on the nice days. Plus Vincent and Annaliese love taking walks, so this works out perfectly!
I went with Elliot yesterday and met his teacher and walked through the school. It seems like a really nice school and we hear lots of positive things about it. His teacher is one of the best, and everyone who knows her or had a kid in her class has wonderful things to say about her. It's so important to me that he has a positive introduction to school, so we are very grateful!

Dietrich and Abigail said...

Congratulations Elliot! I'm so glad you liked school and I'm happy that you made a new friend on the first day even though you were nervous. You're going to do really great!

Love,
Uncle Dietrich

Anonymous said...

O good! So happy for you, Elliot! I thought about you several times on your first day.

Betsy

Rebekah Luree said...

Yay, Elliot! I knew you would love your teacher and that big classroom near the playground! I hope you have a fantastic year!

Love, Aunt Beka

Rebekah Luree said...

Yay, Elliot! I knew you would love your teacher and that big classroom near the playground! I hope you have a fantastic year!

Love, Aunt Beka

Rebekah Luree said...

Also, Sylvia, loved the lion for boldness and making the day extra special. Kudos to Elliot's brilliant parent educators!

Anonymous said...

Grandaddy is happy that you liked school from the very beginning. Learning is a wonderful thing that keeps on going all through life!